Sunday, August 29, 2010

The Pooch

Warning... This is a little rant....

Not the dog kind, but the tummy kind. I was recently told that I was already starting "pooch out some". I'm not going to lie, I wasn't thrilled to hear that since I see zero change in my body. It did remind me of a pregnancy fact I had forgotten about. When you're pregnant, everyone thinks your body is public property.

Example 1: Once you start showing, people feel that they can point and stare. Sometimes in a sweet "look a pregnant lady" way. Not always though. Sometimes it's "wow! look how BIG she is!" way.

Example 2: Everyone wants to touch the belly. I love it when friends and family touch my belly and get to feel the baby move. Give them a chance to start bonding too. But when strangers try to touch my belly, not cool. I want to ask, " Excuse me, do I know you?"

Example 3: People feel they can ask you things they never would have before. The main one is about weight. How much weight have you gained? How much do you weigh now? Seriously people?

I know and need to keep in mind that a lot of that kind of stuff is people being excited. I'm glad that people are excited, even strangers. But just as a reminder to everyone, pregnant women are going through a whirlwind of changes physical, not to mention what's going on with their hormones. Stick with sweet comments like, you look wonderful! you're glowing. And instead of asking about their weight, just tell them they're all belly. Thanks from all the peggers out there!

8 comments:

Shannie said...

This is why I'm never having biological children. Black market here I come!

Unknown said...

I just wish I could see you and comment...I'd try to be nice, but soetimes feel a little more ornery that that...

Love you!

Megan said...

Dad: I can only imagine what you would say!

Amanda said...

Wow--I have had a completely different experience with this! I WANT people to come touch my belly! I think it's because I love attention. ;)

Amanda said...

PS Nobody has touched my belly yet. :(

Megan said...

I would touch your belly, Amanda!

Shannon (Cali version) said...

Amanda - I'm with you! Not one stranger ever tried to touch me. :0(

Megan - I'm sure you look awesome and are positively radiant!

(ps. I did read in a baby book once that you pooch out much earlier with your 2nd child - I'm not saying you're pooching out, I'm just saying it might happen earlier than with Jeremiah!)

Megan said...

Maybe it's because y'all don't live in the South. I don't know.

Thans, Shannon. :-) I've heard the same thing, about pooching out earlier with 2nd. I'll let you know.