Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Freezer Cooking: Day 2

So today was the end of Day 2 of freezer cooking. Made for an interesting few days...

Day 1: we went to Kroger to load up on groceries. They were rearranging to store. Have to monomer around the workers, shelves, while trying to keep Jeremiah entertained and keep up with my list and coupons was a challenge. I think until I get a better handle on couponing Jeremiah will be staying home on grocery day. :-)

Speaking of coupons, I was able to save a surprising about of money. Just by looking for what was on sale and using some coupons. I'm going to be making the time to learn more about couponing!

The main recipe I was working on yesterday was butter horn rolls. I found one recipe and started them. Then I found another one online with information about freezing. I glanced at the ingredient and they looked the same so I switched recipes. Should of looked a little closer because the amounts of the ingredients were different and the first few steps were different. After winging it and a call to my mom, I got it! So now my freezer has lot of rolls in it. We had some with dinner tonight. Very yummy! Jeremiah loved them! Ate two of them.

Day 2: Had to do a quick run to Aldis. Had to wait till nap time to work on anything. Able to get a big batch of Chicken, Rice and Sausage casserole. Should feed us our meals. Wohoo!

Next was Taco Soup. I love this recipes because you brown ground beef or turkey, toss it in a crock pot with a few canned items, add some seasoning and you're done! My kind of recipe. My can opener died. I don't know what happened but it wasn't working, Gave me a chance to talk to my neighbor again. I could of just stopped. But nope, I went over to my neighbors that I don't know well and asked to barrow theirs. I was a women on a mission! There are now to things of taco soup in my freezer... Matt brought home a new can opener. :-)

The last recipe on my list for today was baked beans. I got an awesome recipe from a dear friend, and I'm a little addicted to them. Which it really funny since I didn't like beans till I had this recipe. I kept sneaking bites. I can't wait to dig into them! These beans are like the taco soup. Cook some bacon and onions and then trow them in the crockpot with cans of beans. I have some packaged to have as a side and one to have as a meal. When it's out meal I'll add some smoked sausage and rice. Goes from being baked beans to a nice stew.

So there an update on my freezer cooking. Tomorrow I'm making spaghetti sauce, meatballs, meatloaf and some muffins. Hopefully, I can get all of that done, then I'll be finished! I'm off to bed. The last two night I've dreamed about coupons and cooking. Here's hoping for a more restful nights sleep.

3 comments:

momma said...

wow!! what a great accomplishment! way to go!!

Anonymous said...

Great job, Megan. You are doing what I always said I'd "get around to it" I've heard of a lot of ways to meet a neighbor, but may I borrow your can opener wasn't one of them, but it sure kept you on your mission.

Brittany said...

Could you post some of the recipes you are using, Meg?