Friday, August 20, 2010

Garage Sale

Do you ever feel like there's just too much stuff in your home? That's how I've been feeling lately. As I came across something we didn't need or want any more I would toss it onto the stairs leading to our bonus room. We collected so much stuff that most of the stairs had something on them. When I would get really motivated I would pick it all off the stairs. And throw it on the floor of the bonus room. There was so much stuff scattered all over the room that we couldn't use it. About a month ago I decide it was time to REALLY get motivated. Garage sale time!

I sent an e-mail out to my relatives in the area to see if they would want to have a garage sale too. Brenda, my mother-in-law was the only other crazy, I mean brave person out there. This week we started pricing and taking things to their house. I was please with how everything was going, on Monday.

By Tuesday I was freaking out! I had no idea how much thought wen into a garage sale! Dates, advertising, pricing, location and more! Originally, I thought it would be on Saturday only. Brenda said they always had better days on Friday. So I decided to do it on Friday, three days before. That added to my stress. Last night I told Matt I was really regretting the whole garage sale thing and we would never do it again!

We got to Brenda's before the start time and there was someone already there. We had a crowed of at least five people for the first 3 hours! We sold over half of everything we had. By the end of the day people were asking us if it really was a multi family sale, just because there wasn't a ton of stuff. Matt and I made more then we hoped his parents and we would make, combined! Right now I'm pretty gun-ho on garage sales!

We're in the process of updating/redoing our room. Some of the money will go to that. Mainly making a head board. Don't worry, I'll blog about that as it happens. I'm so excited!

It was a long, hot day. But so worth it! The plan is to have it again tomorrow, but it's POURING rain right now. With how well it went today, I'd be ok with not having it tomorrow. :-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Did you have it again on Saturday? So glad you did so well. I have never had a garage sale of my own. After our Grandmas both died we had a combination sale. Chris and Joe really got into it and were haggling with the buyers. I had organization garage sales here, since it is a good location. If we really do move next year we will have to have a mega sale.