Tuesday, April 26, 2011

So much for calm

I closed my last blog with, "Here's hoping we all sleep well tonight and tomorrow is calmer then today!" I did not get my wish.

I woke up through out the night with contractions. At 4:30 I got up because they were keeping me up. I tried watching a movie and walking. Walking made them more painful. After 90 minutes I got Matt up. He suggested laying on my side, that slowed them down to about every 6 minutes but they were still pretty painful. I hopped in the tub to see if that would help any. Made no difference.

After all the drama of going to the hospital and being sent home with Jeremiah was nervous to go. I did not want to be sent home. Especially since I had been to the hospital the day before and the midwife told me I probably had over a week left.

Travis, Matt's brother, took Jeremiah out for breakfast. While they were out Matt and I packed a bag and I debated on if I should call my midwife. At this point the contractions were any where from 4 to 6 minutes. But so painful! I had to stop whatever I was doing to lean over on something. With them being far apart I was able to recover from one and then get ready for the next one. Shortly after Travis and Jeremiah got home, we called Brenda to come get Jeremiah.

When I called my midwife I was really torn on what to do, because she asked if I wanted to come in. I wanted her to just tell me to come in. I almost waited, but was so uncomfortable I thought Ephram was on the way or something was wrong.

The drive to the hospital take about 30 minutes. Longest 30 minutes of my life! The contractions started getting stronger and then closer, about every 3 minutes. I no longer felt like I could stay on top of them. 10 minutes into the drive I felt like I HAD to go the bathroom. When we had about 10 minutes left the contraction started lasting longer. I felt like I wanted to push.

Poor Matt. I could tell he was getting anxious the closer we got to the hospital and the labor became more intense. He's driving got faster and of course there were lots of slow people on the roads. He was amazing at encouraging me and helping me through the contractions.

As we pulled into the parking lot I started to lose it. I was telling Matt I couldn't do it. Walking from the car to the hospital we had to stop so I deal it a contraction. Waiting to be buzzed onto the L&D wing I had to hang on Matt to deal with the contraction. As we walked to the nurses station I heard every one there go, "Oh yeah, she's ready!" Had to stop on the walk to my room to deal with another contraction. I nurse was trying to talk me through, I kept telling her no, I think. :-) Once it was over she asked if I wanted an epidural, I said "Yes, if I still can."

We FIANLLY got to the room and I went to the bathroom to change. I went to go to the bathroom and my water broke. I yelled for Matt. He cam in and I told him, "my water broke, help me get undressed, I want to push!" The next bit is kind of a blur, but this is what I remember. A soon as I laid down I had a contraction and said I wanted to push. The nurse called Lynn, the midwife, in. Lynn checked me and said, "Ok, we're going to have a baby! Get the essentials!" I wasn't in the computer system, didn't have an IV. I felt completely out of control, not a feeling I enjoy. Apparently I was talking a lot too in between contractions, saying I couldn't do it and such. While I was pushing I heard them talking to me, but it didn't mean anything. Like on Peanuts when the adults talk "wha wha wha". I started pulling it together when I heard Lynn say, "You need to have this baby... Push out your baby... You can do this...His heart rate is dropping, push out your baby." She said it all in a very calm, matter of the fact way that helped me focus. I started hearing Matt telling me I could do it, that I was doing great and counting. I pulled it together and Ephram was born!

It was amazing because I felt him being born, sorry if that' TMI. :-) They put him on me right way. I was immediately blown away by all of his dark hair and how long he looked. Matt and I were able to start loving on him as soon as he was born. Matt got to cut the cord. The whole thing was completely different then Jeremiah's birth.

From the time we walked into the hospital till Ephram was born was 15 minutes. From the time I got on the bed till Ephram was born I had four or five contractions. We're very thankful we didn't have him in the car! Lynn told us we were lucky to have made it. Crazy!

So ended up having a natural labor and delivery. Ephram's only 3 days old and I can already see the curse (pain in childbirth but will still desire my husband and more children). I don;t remember the pain. I remember it was bad, and thinking "I will not do natural again! Who would choose to do this???" Just 3 days later I'm thinking, "that wasn't too bad, I could do natural again... If I had to."

God was good in that I as able to have Ephram so quickly after getting to the hospital. I don;t know what I would have done if I need to labor for a few more hours without an epidural. He knew exactly what I could handle and gave Matt and I wisdom on when to go to the hospital. God was faithful in blessing us with another beautiful, healthy little boy!



Here he is Ephram Brant 7 lbs 14 oz 20 inches Born April 23, 2011 at 11:24 am

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

He is so beautiful! What a wonderful story. I really enjoyed reading it. Love-Jessica Southwick

Shannon said...

what a great birth story! God doesn't give us anything we can't handle and you handled Ephram's birth just great, natural and all! Funny how quickly the pain fades from memory. :0) So glad you guys were able to love on him the moment he was born. I can't wait to meet him!

Ashley said...

Thanks for sharing the story Megan!! Wow 15 minutes!! That's amazing. I'm glad Lynn got to delivery you. She is one of my favorites. We are so looking forward to seeing y'all when we get back in town. We will be jumping on the meal list as soon as you are ready. Hope your mom can get there soon!

Virginia said...

I was one of those crazy people that said "I don't need the drugs. I can do naturally." And I did! Don't know if I could have if I had had a long labor but God knew what I could handle, too. It is an amazing feeling, though, when you push out that little life. Ephram is a cutie!

Kim said...

That's an awesome story and testimony of goodness and grace. Proud of you!