Thursday, April 21, 2011

Getting ready to say bye

My papa's health has been failing. Last week I found out that it was time to start getting ready to say good bye. Today I found out that he's starting to slip away. It's so much harder then I thought it would be. I've been so removed with Ephram's pending birth and being in Georgia while Papa and my family are in Oklahoma. Now that the time is here, it's incredibly hard.

One of the most special memories I have of my Papa is from when I was a little girl, around five. I went to work with him. He let me sit at his big desk to color and play with the phone some. He needed o get a hair cut before we went home. While he had his hair cut I had my very first manicure! Granted, it was soaking my fingers in warm, soapy water and then having my nails painted. But it was a big deal! It was a fun day, just me and my Papa.

A little later, for my birthday maybe, he sent my an album with all the pictures of us from that day. Being in his office, walking through the building and him getting his hair cut while I had my manicure. I've always treasured that album because I knew Papa had done it just for me. Now, as he's passing it's a little more special to me.

Here are some pictures of when I was last with my Papa back in December. I'm so thankful that Matt, Jeremiah and I were able to be in Kansas for so long at Christmas. It gave us a chance to really spend time with my grandparents and let them get to know Jeremiah a little more.


Grandma and Papa. Great picture of Papa!



My whole family with my grandparents



My sisters and our kids with our grandparents


My grandparents with all of their great grandbabies


No comments: