Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Happy Fall!

I love fall. The cool weather, sleeping with windows open, yummy soup and stews, the colors, cozy sweaters and sweat pants. I'm getting into decorating for the different seasons. Spring lots of soft colors and flowers. For the summer lots of 4th of July stuff. Christmas is easy! Big, beautiful tree. Lots of green, red and lights. I have a harder time with fall.

Last year I made a wreath out of dried leaves (it's the last picture on that page). I really like it, but it's not quiet me. I came across another wreath that I love! Looks easy enough, just have to find the right fabric. Hopefully I'll be able to work on it next week. Of course I get some pumpkins and gourds. I love how goofy looking gourds are. Other than that I have a hard time coming up with ideas. I saw this. Not sure if it's too formal for my home though. But it sure is pretty and would be a nice change for my mantel.

Part of the reason I have such a hard time with decorating for fall is because I want the decorations to last from the start of fall to Thanksgiving. Plus, we're not Halloween people. We don't do trick-r-treating. That's something we might change our mind about in the future, but right now not doing Halloween is the best thing for our family. The ghosts and bats, just aren't our thing. There are some really cute ghost stuff out there. Some one in our neighborhood has a grave stone with a hand popping out of the ground in front of it and then a "body" under a sheet. Really? That's just creepy to me!

So how do you decorate for fall? Anny suggestions for me?

6 comments:

Kierstyn said...

Here's what I did last year:
http://krajcafamily.blogspot.com/2009/09/happy-fall-yall.html

Wal Mart has cheap scarecrows! Also, check out the Dollar stores for other cheap materials to use.

Here's a super cute wreath that I'm thinking of making. This is the original, but I saw a version that had the letter for their last name, rather than 31. So cute!

http://tatertotsandjello.blogspot.com/2010/09/happy-halloween-wreath-tutorial.html

You can always use pictures of Jeremiah from last year in the pumpkins, and ones of him this year in the pumpkins.

http://krajcafamily.blogspot.com/2008/10/looks-like-fall.html

And make this shirt, and take some pictures of him in it!

http://krajcafamily.blogspot.com/2008/10/pumpkin-day.html

Anonymous said...

I bought Mom a cute solid plastic pumpkin at Wal-Mar for the porch. I'll try to send you a picture on your phone...only $10 too!

Dad

Kierstyn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Wardlows said...

I love the cute scarecrows at Wal-Mart and the girls had fun looking at them.

Also, you can find all kinds of pumpkins at the stores, this upcoming weekend, I will be buying a large one to put in a flower pot with a few other size pumpkins to go at the base.

Jack asked me if I would like some hay to put in the front yard and decorate them with more pumpkins and mums (flowers). I haven't decided on this one because I need something that is easy to clean up.

I hope that this helps. Good luck!

Kristy

Amanda said...

Do you have any of those "gumball" trees in your neighborhood? I grabbed a bag of those and used them as filler, and then spray painted them gold for Christmas. Hundreds of acorns would be even better (and they'd last, unlike pumpkins). ALAS, I have nothing I can go pick up (minus the reeds and cattails from the golf course lake behind my house, I'm so ASHAMED of myself!)

And if you can find a plant of bittersweets--they make the most PERFECT wreaths and decor. . . google 'em. Love ya!

Megan said...

Thanks for all the ideas! I made a wreath and re-did my mantle. I'll post pictures soon!