Saturday, September 18, 2010

Debate

I've been debating with myself on if I want to have a natural labor or get the epidural again. With Jeremiah I didn't make a decision before hand one way or the other. I started having regular contraction at 36 weeks and continued to have them till he was born. Looking back, I know that my early labor started 24 hours before Jeremiah was born. I didn't go into the hospital until about 11pm. I had worked all day and was completely wiped out. I did get the epidural. I'm so glad I did because I pushed for a solid three hours. The doctor said we were going to use suction to help me push him out. He was born in three pushes once we used the suction. I'm so thankful that the doctor decided to use the suction. The umbilical cord was wrapped around his neck, I believe that God was protecting Jeremiah. He was blue initially and had a fever. We didn't get to hold him for 30 minutes because they were working on him.



I'm nervous to go without the epidural because I don't know if I can/want to be in labor that long. And the the thought of pushing for three hours without drugs, it's intimidating. Plus, you get drugs when having a cavity filled to make it painless. Why would I make that painless but not childbirth?



Part of me want to do it naturally just to prove I can. I know several women who have had natural labor. I have a lot of respect for them. Only two of them have said they would do it again or have done it again, one for medical reasons. Everyone else has said, "get the epidural!" Honestly, to me it seems more like bragging rights then anything else. I haven't done much research to find out all the pros and cons. If you can recommend any good books, please let me know!



With the research I have done, it comes across to me, that you fail if you have to use suction or intervene at all medically. Suction was necessary for Jeremiah to be born. I don't think there was an issue with my pushing because I pushed out his head with a contraction the doctor said one more push and he would be born so I kept pushing. I was able to get his shoulders and body out in one push without a contraction. Kind of funny because it surprised everyone in the room. The boy just had a big head. And like I said, I believe God was protecting him.



I don't think there is anything wrong if you need to intervene medically. The end goal is the same, not matter if you had an epidural, c-section or completely natural labor, a healthy baby. I'm still undecided on what I'll do. Thankfully I have over 7 months to figure it out! :-)



What's you birth story? Glad you got the epidural? Wish you had done it naturally?

10 comments:

Crystal said...

I wish they would have given it to me earlier!

Liesel said...

Do what you feel comfortable with. If you want to try to go natural, go for it! I ended up having a short enough labor that I could do it without an epidural with Sydney, and with Maia, I didn't have time! I got through the first one telling myself that if my mom did it 8 times, I could too. Helped that she was right by my side the whole time. But there's absolutely no shame in getting one. I might try it next time too, except I'm a little scared of the NEEDLE IN MY BACK!!!

Sarah said...

I did natural labor and delivery twice, and I plan to do it again. (With my 2nd delivery I actually had one natural, and the 2nd twin was c-section). My first labor was almost 9 hours, but the second was 21 hours. Honestly the second was WAY easier. I think that may have been in part because I waited longer to go to the hospital and I was so relaxed at home and had the best encouragers! Maybe your second labor and delivery will be easier too!

I do believe that natural is generally safer for the mother and baby...as the epidural can affect nursing, bonding, etc...but I will also say that I am huge on a natural lifestyle in general so that's kind of my bias. :-)

That said, I do not think you fail if you choose to do it differently. There is certainly a place and a time for medical intervention, and I am glad that it is there if I absolutely need it.

I can't think of any books off the top of my head, but you can do tons of research online. I hope that you come to decision that you can have peace about.

Kim said...

I'd say have an epidural if you really want one, but be prepared for anything. I had 3 epidurals and only the first one worked! It didn't work at all in the 2nd and worked only partially in the 3rd. I know most people don't have that happen though. I took a wait and ee approach in births 1 and 3. In my 2nd, I asked to have my epi ready to go, and that is the one that ended up being "natural". It was the shortest labor and easiest recovery! In the end, the trophy is the baby and not the way he/she came into the world! If I had a 4th opportunity to give birth, I would skip the epi, since I had weird reactions.

Katy Kirkwood said...

So....I've been doing a lot of studying on this lately and two titles come to mind: Ina May's Guide to Childbirth (she is 'hippy' in style but her science is good and she's respected the world over for her studies) it's in the Peachtree City library system, and a movie called The Business of Being Born....Jessica Peeler either has it or can get it.
They've both, especially the book, given me a lot of insight and courage and encouragement because I'm planning on starting out naturally. If an emergency arises then medical intervention will be something I'm grateful for.
If you do want to try natural I would definitely recommend hiring a doula. Doctors ( for the most part) don't know squat about how to help a woman in natural labor and so they don't, a doula does.
I'll let you know how things turn out with me :o) Pretty excited about it actually!

Kierstyn said...

I'm a big fan of being able to make the choice, and doing what you want. For me, that was an epidural for my vag delivery. I was in a similar boat to you with Elizabeth. I was wiped out and needed a break! No drugs + 15 hours of back labor is no fun! I really enjoyed that I was able to relax (which helped my labor progress quickly!) and enjoy the first few moments after her birth, rather than being in pain while being "put back together".

Personally, why not get an epidural? The medical risks are low, especially if you've already had one successful epidural. You're able to rest and enjoy the process. I know there are some people who just want to do it naturally, and that's awesome. But if you don't have a strong desire to, or don't have medical reasons why an epidural wouldn't be an option, get the epidural!! :-)

I also really think that God puts on your heart what you want. I was never one to really want the whole natural experience. And since I followed my vag birth with three c-sections, I'm thankful that I didn't have to go through the sadness that a lot of c-sec moms go through over not being able to "give birth".

My advice is to be prepared for just about anything. Have a general idea of what each of your options (natural, epidural or even c-sec) would be like. From several friends who have gone natural, you really have to do your homework! You also need to have Matt doing his homework that way he's ready.

Shannie said...

In my opinion, as a woman who has never given birth and does not plan to and as Super Aunt to a very cute little boy named Jeremiah, this blog has too many words and is seriously lacking in pictures.

Shannon (Cali version) said...

well, Katy and I might as well be the same person. So ditto her. I will say this: if you don't plan, prepare for (mentally and physically) and research natural childbirth, you won't have one no matter how good your intentions. There's no "let's see how it goes". It's a process that takes months of preparation for (like training for a marathon). Also, you can't do it alone. You need a fantastic support team, both personally and medically. And I can't speak highly enough of doulas - they are amazing women!

Here's my birth story:
http://community.babycenter.com/journal/octoberdelight/2603295/my_birth_story

I generally don't talk about NCB unless prompted because I think it falls into the breastmilk vs. formula realm where if you preach the virtues of one you come across as a know-it-all snob. But it's a subject I've done a lot of reading about, so if you'd like some links or would like to talk, just let me know.

Amanda said...

I'm getting woozy. . .

Megan said...

Thanks for all the input and encouragement ladies! I’m surprised and impressed by how many of you had natural child birth!
I’m still undecided about what I’m going to do. Right now, I just don’t care, which makes me think I’ll get the epi again. I didn’t have any problem with the epi before. Jeremiah and I were able to bond and nurse without any issues and no weird reactions. I’m going to keep doing research and see how I’m feeling after that. I agree with what most of you said, that if I am going to go natural, I need to decide study and prepare! That’s why I’m thinking about it now.
Liesel- the needle is nothing! I didn’t even feel it!
Sarah- I can’t believe you have one of your twins naturally! Don’t hear about that very often.
Katy- Thanks for the book and movie recommendation! Need to check those out.
Kim- Bummer that the epi didn’t work.
Kierstyn- I’m with you in that I don’t see any reason on ehy not to get the epi.
Shannie- I’ll try to get some pictures up for you. :-)
Shannon B- It can be a touchy subject. I might give you a call for some more info.
Amanda: Don’t get woozy! What are you thinking you’ll do?