Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Praise You in this storm

I've always enjoyed that song by Casting Crowns. This past week Matt and I have been in a massive storm.

This time last week I was trying to figure out how I would announce our pregnancy. Last Wednesday we had an appointment for our first sonogram. We were thrilled to be pregnant and couldn't wait to see our baby. The sonogram didn't go as we hoped. Our pregnancy ended because of a blighted ovum. Meaning the baby's cells probably weren't multiplying correctly and the growth stopped. Our baby was gone.

We were and still are devastated. All we could do was cling to the truth that God has a good plan for us, Jeremiah and our baby. Jeremiah 29:11 "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." is a verse we've been clinging to. We're believe this verse applies to all four of us. Romans 8:28 "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose." We're not sure how the death of our baby is for good, yet. We're waiting for God to show us that. Knowing that it'll probably be in Heaven when God's good plan is made known to us. We're trusting that God will use this for our good and His glory.

Matt and I tried to not limit our prayers to just asking God why and for comfort. We wanted to pray as Paul said to in Philippians 4:6 "Do no be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplications with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God." I have to admit, this was a struggle. What was there to praise God for when dealing with the death of a child??? But then Matt and I remembered the above verses and clung to that hope. And then we would see Jeremiah. We became so grateful that God blessed us with Jeremiah. We found joy in being with him. A reason to praise God in the storm.

There was concern that I would have to have a D&C since my body hadn't started to miscarry. As we were praying for comfort and peace we began to pray that God would allow me to miscarry naturally. God mercifully answered this pray with a yes. Another reason for praise.

As I spoke with my doctor's office I was able to speak with a very sweet, kind and understanding nurse. Another praise.

On Sunday I went to the ER to be sure I wasn't hemorrhaging. Praise the Lord, I wasn't. Sweet friends brought Matt food and sat with us for hours. Praise. The doctor I saw wasn't nothing like the other ER doctor's I've seen and spoke and comforted us like a believer. Praise!

My in-laws keeps Jeremiah while we were in the ER. What a blessing to not have to worry about him while we were waiting. Praise! They have genourousl brought us meals. Praise.

Today I had a follow up appointment. Again, didn't go as we expected. We thought I had successfully miscarried, but there are still remnants of the pregnancy in my uterus. I got to see the nurse I spoke with before. Praise. She was just as encouraging as she had been over the phone. She stayed with Matt and I threw the whole appointment, sonogram and everything. Praise. She explained everything to us and really listened to our concerns. Praise!

I'm so thankful that God has helped Matt and I to see some of the reasons we have to praise Him while we're in this storm. What and faithful God we have!

Because I haven't fully miscarried yet I had blood work today and more again on Thursday. If my hormone levels don't drop I'll need to have a D&C because my body should have miscarried on it's own. Please join us in praying that God will allow me to miscarry on my own so I won't have to have the D&C. And that we'll continue to see the abundant reasons we have to praise our awesome God!

7 comments:

Shannon (Cali version) said...

we're praying for peace & healing. I am glad you have been able to find comfort & strength through all of this. My thoughts and prayers are with you both. Love you!

Kierstyn said...

I'm sorry this is the road that you guys are having to walk. I will continue to pray for you all.

Love you

Megan said...

@ Shannon: Thanks. I'm thankful that God has given us the comfort and strength we need. Couldn't handle this otherwise. Please keep the prayers coming.

@ Kierstyn: Me too. Thanks for the prayers.

Love both of you!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful, thoughtful and prayer filled post. We're praying for continued blessing for your peace, comfort and recovery Love grandma Maye

Amanda said...

Megan and Wirey, I'm so so sorry for all that y'all have been going through. . .I'm almost in tears as I read this, I can't believe how godly your attitudes are! You have HOPE and that is just such a profound statement of your faith in the LORD. Grieving with you.

Megan said...

Thanks Grandma.

@ Amanda: Thanks for the encouragement to keep the right attitude.

Britt said...

I know this is late, but I had to tell you -- Jeremiah 29:11 is one of my favorite verses. It was a huge comfort to me after our miscarriage and through our years of infertility. I don't know what God's purpose is in all this, but I know He has one and is working for your good. Since our miscarriage we have seen His grace so much in our lives and are looking forward to His good plans for us. Hang in there and don't lose hope. I know He has a perfect plan for your life.
~Britt