Monday, January 17, 2011

Mini-Makeover

Since we're been enjoy a long weekend, Matt and I have been working on getting little things done around the house. I really wanted to work in out living room and dinning room. Make them more homey and our personality.

We've had a hutch in our dinning room (that we got for free!) since we moved in. I wasn't crazy about it, but the extra storage was great! I had painted it a light blue. Thought it would look really nice since one of the walls of the dinning room is blue. Was not the look I was going for. It ended up being really country. This weekend we painted it black. I love black spray paint! It gives any piece of furniture an updated, polished look. Our dinning room table top is a dark wood and the legs and chairs are black. The dinning room looks like it goes together now.


Next I wanted to do some sort of window treatment. I love the molding we have around the windows, but after almost three years with nothing on them, it was time for something. I love the long sheer curtains. But with having one active little boy and another one on the way, thought it was best to go with something shorter. I saw these curtains and thought we'd give them I try.
I like them a lot. But it blends in a little too much for my taste. I've looked at several stores and online but can't find anything I like. Today I had the, in my humble opinion, brilliant idea of adding an accent color ribbon.



As you can tell from the picture, I didn't have enough of the same ribbon in my craft box. You can get an idea of what I'm going for. I would use a thicker black ribbon. What are your thoughts? Any other brilliant idea out there?

6 comments:

Shannon (Cali version) said...

RIT dye. If you like your current curtains but want them to "punch" more, you can just dye them for a fraction of the price. And you can still add your ribbon later if you want. I think it looks nice, but I agree that the white blends in with the molding.

Kierstyn said...

Love Shannon's idea!! Another think I don't like about the white. I don't think white curtains next to a tan wall work well.

And yes, you're a genius for using an accent ribbon!

Shannon (Cali version) said...

I have to give credit to Lucky magazine because i was just reading an article on dying your clothes to give them longer life.

Megan said...

Dying them is a good idea. I have no idea what color I would do. I'm hoping to go to Hobby Lobby this weekend to check out their black and white fabric. Then I would just need to figure out how to sew curtains! :-)

Kierstyn said...

I say black would be great! Your accents in there are all black. Maybe a nice gray?

Megan said...

you think plain black, Kierstyn?