Sunday, January 23, 2011

Life

Today is sanctity of human life Sunday. Fitting for the day after the anniversary of Roe vs. Wade. Abortions is something that gets me fired up pretty quickly. I just don't understand why so many people believe that if you get pregnant and it was unplanned, inconvenient, from an assault or there are potentially birth defects that that baby's life no longer has value.

Psalm 139:13-16 states:
"For you created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful,
I know that full well."

From this passage, it's clearly seen that every life is created by God . If you've ever knitted or crochet, it's especially clear. Sweet baby booties don't make themselves. Someone has to pick up their needles, pick out the yarn, and decide on a pattern - a creator. I'm a novice knitter, but am learning how much attention it takes! If I stop paying attention I end up dropping or adding stitches, or even doing the wrong stitch. Knitting is something that requires a lot of thought. How much more thought must God spend on knitting us?

In Genesis 1:27 we're told, "So God created mankind in his own image, in the image of God he created them; male and female he created them." Every human life has the image of God imprinted on them. Gender, race, origin, religion and age has nothing to do with it. If you are a human being, you are an image bearer of God. This is true for babies. Even babies who are inutero. They are image bearers of God. This give their life meaning and purpose.

What breaks my heart is that people would say that because the parents don't want the precious baby, it should be murdered. There are countless people who are struggling to become parents and can't. What wouldn't they give to be able to bring home that sweet "unwanted" child?


As you can tell, I believe that EVERY single life was created by God, has value because they have the image of God, and is wanted. Because of this belief, I believe every life should be protected and have the chance to live. That's why I'm prolife and am praying for the day our nation will be a prolife.

3 comments:

Emily said...

I heartily agree.

Kierstyn said...

I spend the anniversary of Roe V Wade at the women's conference. I know that it was no coincidence that I was at a conference dealing with (in part) the healing of women. I was so thankful to be on my knees praying for the women that abortion hurts and that our country would turn, repent and end abortion.

As someone who has faced an unwanted pregnancy, and children with birth defects, it breaks my heart on a different level. I can't even imagine my life without these sweet lives as a part of my life. Yeah, it's hard. There have been many times when I feel completely incapable of the task before me, but God is full of grace and wisdom, and bestows grace and wisdom to us in our time of need.

Okay, now I'm all weepy. Thanks a lot, Megan!

Tiffany said...

I just read this. Abortion gets Shaun & I fired up as quick as anything. We struggled for years with trying to get pregnant, miscarriages & unimaginable heartache with the twin to twin syndrome we faced when it seemed we had a pregnancy that was going to be perfect. I truly believe people don't fully understand the magnificent gift of life until you lose one inside of you. I am so thankful we were blessed with 2 healthy babies & know I'm a mommy to little angels in heaven who were taken from me for reasons I don't yet understand.