Saturday, April 11, 2009

38 Weeks

Wednesday I reached the 38 week mark. I was so excited for my appointment because at my 37 week appointment I was told once I was 38 weeks we could talk about doing something to induce labor. I get to the doctor's office and tell them that I've continued to have contractions. The doctor says, oh, well your body will be ready once you go into labor, and the contractions needed to be 5 minutes apart. The doctor also said there had been no change in my cervix, but they could feel Jeremiah's head. I was so frustrated and disappointed!

On top of that I was sick with a really bad cold. I took another sick day and Matt, Mom and I headed to the Stockamn's house. I tired to walk Jeremiah out, but he just would have no part of that.

As we were getting ready to head home for the night my contraptions were 5 minutes apart. Instead of heading home we spent the night at the Stockman's. I woke up several time in the night with really strong contractions that I was needing to breath through. At about 4:30 I gave up on sleep and we headed to the hospital. They got me all hooked up to the monitors and checked me. Again no change in my cervix so they had me walk.

As I was walking I talked to a few nurses and when they heard that I had been having contractions for 2 weeks and was 38 weeks they seemed to think I would be induced. Matt and I started to get hopeful that we would have Jeremiah soon!

After walking they checked me again, no change. We were waiting to hear from the doctor on call. The nurse came in and said I was being discharged. I couldn't believe it! I asked the nurse how I was supposed to know when to come back since I was having contractions every five minutes like clock work. She said I would know when it was real labor.

I left determined not to go to the hospital again until my water broke. Ms. Terri did some research and found an answer for all the contractions I've been having. It's called prodromal labor. All women have it, it's just more sever in some cases. Basically, its extended early labor that isn't strong enough to cause a change in the cervix.

I feel much better after hearing that because I know I'm not crazy! :-) Needless to say it's been a very stressful few days, but things are getting better. I took the rest of the week off because of my cold, so I've been able to get a lot of rest. Monday it's back to the working world. :-(




38 weeks



My daddy got me a candy bouquet to try to help my cope with my disappointment. Chocolate makes everything better!

2 comments:

Shannie said...

Chocolate does make everything better... or tolerable at least!

Unknown said...

Believe it or not, I was sharing in your disappointment, but instead of chocolate candy, Shannie and I have been drowning our disappointment in 1/2 and 1/2 Freddy's.

But I'm also very thankful Mom is with you and I trust that Jeremiah will bee here soon!

Love you,
Daddy