Tuesday, March 9, 2010

The Parent's Curse

You know what I'm talking about, right? The statement most of us have heard at least once in our life, "I hope you have a child just like you!" Some times said teasing, other times quite seriously. I see this curse coming to fruition in my life.

A little background, growing up I was a very picky eater. Pretty much all I wanted to eat was meat, fruit, bread and sweets, of course! I remember refusing to eat eggs and sitting at the table well past the time my sisters finished eating. I'm a little embarrassed to admit I was one of those kids who would, cry, cough, gag, and almost throw up if we were having something I didn't want to eat.

I'm seeing Jeremiah starting to do this. When he was on baby food he would eat anything! Of course he had preferences but would eat whatever I gave him. He's now eating finger foods and feeding himself. The boy loves fruit, cheese, meat, and bread. Veggies are another story. I'll put them on the trey and he'll avoid them and act like he's out of food once he's eaten everything he likes. When I try to pop a green bean in his mouth, he turns away and starts shaking his little head! When I keep trying to get him to eat some veggies he has started to make himself cough. He even made himself gag once! I couldn't believe it! 10 months and already putting up a fight.

Looks like I'm going to get to experience what I put my parents through. So to all you other parents, beware if you parents ever said "I hope you have a child just like you!" It really does happen!

4 comments:

momma said...

too funny!! but look at you now...you don't gag on greenbeans any more!!

Amanda said...

How do they KNOW not to like the good stuff? Does it really taste bad? It's astonishing! I went through a phase when I didn't eat meat as a kid. OH DEAR!

Anonymous said...

Jeremiah looks like he is doing just fine without the color green in his diet. He is SO cute.

Shannie said...

hahahahahahahaaaaa!!!! You should make him some beef and barley soup