Tuesday, September 22, 2009

No more swaddling

Jeremiah has always been a snuggler. Didn't matter if it was in your arms or wrapped as tight as I could get him in his Miracle Blanket. The best was super tight in his blanket while being held.

About a month ago I started wondering what I was going to do when he was too big for the Miracle blanket. I started trying to put him down with out swaddling him. Then started freaking out about what I was going to do since he would not sleep if he wasn't swaddled. I tried to slowly ween him. Leaving one arm out, putting the blanket on loos. No good. Would maybe fall a sleep for 15 minutes and the scream his little head off till he was swaddled. I decided it was more important for him to be sleeping well than not being swaddled. Maybe I was just putting it off, but I like to think it was only out of a desire to do what's best for him. :-)

Last week Jeremiah started figuring out how to get his arms out of the blanket. No idea how he did it with out dislocating his shoulder! He would wake up furious! The first night Matt and I rushed into the nursery to find Jeremiah screaming and throwing his arms all over the place. A few nights of this and I know it was time to do something. A momma's gotta have her sleep too!

My mom had gotten us two sleep sacks. I tried it during nap time, he slept just as well and long as when he was swaddled! I couldn't believe it! I put him down the same night in the sleep sack. I expected another wake up call at 3 in the morning but it never came!

So he sleeps half way unswaddled. One of the sleep sacks is really big, so I don't have to worry about weening him all the way for a while. :-)

3 comments:

momma said...

too bad i can't see a picture of that big boy in his sleep sack!! can you tell i'm all in favor of babies sleeping...miracle blankets and sleep sacks!

t said...

Yea, for your inovation. Sleeping babies rock. Love you, T

Megan said...

I went to take a picture this afernoo nand he started to wake up! So there will be no pictures. Sorry. :-)